[Swansea Hackspace] Re: Community building

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Apr 24 22:06:30 BST 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 21:25 +0100, Tom Lloyd wrote:
> Rather than people suggesting things and other people poo-pooing them,
> why don't we try all the suggestions and see what works?  It's not
> like we're short of either servers or people to maintain them.  It
> doesn't even matter for now if our stuff is spread across multiple
> servers - we find out which methods of communicating work for us, and
> then we can gather them up into a central place later.
>

> As long as we keep important stuff on this list, I see no harm in a
> bit of experimentation :)

I have grave concerns about splitting the scant content we have over
multiple domains, it will just add inconsistency and confusion.

I have been planning to migrate the current website into a wiki
framework, i just haven't found the time yet to do it, either going to
use pmwiki as its quite flexible, or my own modular framework which has
a wiki component, as it can grow as needed.

Would go with a wiki as its more suitable for organised information than
something liek wordpress, and will allow others to contribute content.
but it is not a suitable place to hold discussions and conversations.

If our mailing list was a lot busier then i would create other lists to
separate the traffic, but as it is i think we would lose people along
the way, i am going to turn on the topics support and do it that way,
then anyone that doesn't want certain topics can tune them out,
otherwise you see everything as before.

As for long term searchable repository, you will find that google has
already discovered and indexed our mailing list archive, i tried a few
simple searches and got back emails from the archive.  Perhaps i can add
a custom search box to the website if we want to make this more obvious.

If people would like a shorter alternative domain name then i will
register one, i have a registrar account and dns servers, and then
attach it to the existing server as an alias.