[Swansea Hackspace] Re: Hackspace Digest, Vol 6, Issue 15

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Sun Jun 30 19:47:38 BST 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 15:14 +0100, Tim Moore wrote:
> Finally got the 12F1840 Pic programmed and it worked !
>
> Many many thanks to all who helped me and my very aged XP laptop tp
> achieve this !
>
> Stupid question:-
>
> Will the same 'C' source code still work on the 12F609 which costs 61p
> delivered or the 12F615 which costs 88p delivered ?

More or less.

Those chips are broadly similar, but have less features. so depends if
you need those features.

A quick attempt at a comparison table

		12f1840	12f615	12f609
prog mem	4K	1K	1K
ram		256	64	64
max MHz		32	8	8
analog a2d	yes	yes	no
serial/uart	yes	no	no
spi/i2c		yes	no	no

As you can see they are lower spec devices, so consider what the project
you want to use them for needs.

As for building cointoss on them, they all have the internal pull-ups,
and internal clock oscillators, so apart from fixing the include file
and adjusting the xtal frequency statement, it should just work.