[Swansea Hackspace] possible assistance

Edwin Beggs E.J.Beggs at swansea.ac.uk
Thu Mar 28 14:18:15 GMT 2013

Hi folks, apologies for being late. :)

There may be assistance in setting hackspace up, with costs and
benefits. I am talking the Universitiy (s?), local industry, other
clubs, and maybe the council. The University has a third mission
responsibility, which means local society and economy. As I refer to
below, I have not got the time to get very involved with the project.
What I set out below are no more than possibilities to be considered.
As I have not had time to read the lists, I may repeat what others
have said - apologies.

1) Local industry - we all want Swansea to have a better employment
record, including high tech. Allowing local industry to become
involved on a problem solving basis, and under ground rules set down
by the hackspace, would be of benefit to both. I am NOT talking about
managerial involvement - that has no place in the hackspace, there are
enough other places for that already. If industry technical staff want
to contribute, or look for expertise or protoyping etc that might be a
different matter. Besides, industry has money to give for assistance
if any arrangements were to be formalised.

2) The University can supply various resources, including 3D printing
on good machines, at more or less cost price. This would help the
hackspace get set up. It can possibly provide meeting rooms for talks
etc, but permanent storage is much less likely. But someone else in
the city might be able to provide subsidised accommodation. This is
NOT any form of takeover - the hackspace needs its own structure for
legal reasons - it would be free to walk away from any help, and
besides nobody in the University has enough time to take anything
over. :)

3) There are other clubs and societies (student and town) that might
be affiliated to the hackspace, giving manpower or trading resources.

4) To get the message over to the public, you might have public
meetings. Rooms for these are likely to be quite cheap. You can have
people who come to the talks, listen and drink coffee. Some may go on
to be more involved, some may just come to the talks. You get lots of
publicity, and a continuing public face for contact purposes. You
could charge a small fee to come to the talks, after the first couple.
You may find people with ideas, but who never had the contacts with
technical expertise to make them happen. Coffee, tea and biscuits are
what make the world go round. Outside organisations might fund some
speakers to kick things off.

           Edwin