[Swansea Hackspace] University recognition

Andrew Price welshbyte at sucs.org
Wed Sep 4 10:50:32 BST 2013

On 04/09/13 10:17, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:59:03 +0100
> Edwin Beggs <E.J.Beggs at swansea.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>>      Hi! I am considering trying to get the hackerspace officially
>> recognised by the University (or at least the College of Science) as
>> part of its third mission. I am not sure what this will mean
>> practically, but it will hopefully make dealing with the university
>> easier! The third mission is about the local economy, and that is what
>> I have tried to address here. If this works, maybe we should try to do
>> something with Swansea Council.
>>
>>     I enclose a possible letter to the Chair of the College of Science
>> Third Mission committee - not sent yet. Comments would be good -
>> either edits or other things. Is this a good idea in the first place?
>> I think so, but you may think of possible problems...
>
> God knows.. this is the University. It moves in its own bizarre political
> space.

I think we can probably agree that recognition from the University in
itself would be a good thing, but if it comes with any conditions
attached we'd have to be cautious to not get bogged down in said bizarre
political space.

> I would be inclined perhaps to also talk about how things like the
> university computer society (one of the first with its own systems)
> enabled all sorts of stuff to happen.

I assume you're referring to the talent and innovation that the society
has enabled over 25 years, and not just its members' involvement in the
hackspace?

Andy