[Swansea Hackspace] TechHub Digital signage/Info Display System

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Fri Aug 15 11:29:46 BST 2014

Raspberry Pi would be a perfect solution to this 'problem'. They can be
easily mounted to a screen and networked easily via wifi

I am about to embark on a similar commercial project for a chip shop to
display prices, photos of products, community news and that sort of thing.
Three screens across but turned on their sides

Ideally you will want a back end system to manage content, as you say on a
central server, you would probably want information in zones? Will you have
screens on doors of meeting rooms to show what is happening in the room?

If so you will probably want a bespoke database to tie it all together so
you can display time relevant information per screen/room/zone with generic
info shown when there is no specific timed info to show... and a simple web
interface to 'add' information to the screens.

Ideally you will want to show text and images and maybe 'sex' it up using
HTML5

If you were not in a hurry I could roll out sections of the code I will
create for the chip shop which will do 80% of what you will want to do - I
will have three 'zones'

how much of a hurry are you in?

There are lots of 'free' systems out there for the Pi - maybe they will do
the job for you

Emyr

On 15 August 2014 11:18, Paul Harwood <paul at harwood-leon.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We are thinking of creating a digital display/signage system for TechHub
> which will consist of:
>
> - Cheap monitors dotted about the building, mounted on walls (lobby area
> to begin with)
> - single board computers with wifi
> - webservers running from some kind of central system that can be updated
>
> Would the hackspace be interested in helping us build it as a project? It
> would be useful to display stuff when events are running directing people
> etc.
>
> The rough spec would be:
> - display tenants rooms floors
> - display events
> - lobby, possibly per floor - if the lobby works out
> - system really easy to update with little or no technical skill
> - secure (obviously)
> - cheap!
>
> We were going to buy some signs and stuff, but I thought that was a little
> silly for a "tech" hub.
>
> It is a pretty urgent requirement, so...any thoughts?
>
> -- Paul

Mob: 07836 267426