[Swansea Hackspace] ESP8266 wifi module

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Tue Dec 9 22:22:17 GMT 2014

My order of ESP8266 modules just arrived, and they are tiny!

I bought some with the intention of being able to easily and cheaply
(they are £2 each) add wifi to an arduino, but they are so much more.

Seems that in order to do its serial-wifi trick they embedded a cpu, an
80MHz 32bit cpu! And the manufacturer has just released a new version of
the SDK, gcc tool chain, libraries and RTOS operating system for it.

The board takes 3.3v power and has UART and two GPIO (SPI, I2C, PWM
capable) pins.

wow, talk about internet of things, you could connect a sensor and a
small battery and make really small wireless sensors.

Latest SDK:
https://github.com/espressif/esp_iot_rtos_sdk

Definitely one for a future workshop i think.