[Swansea Hackspace] Arduino NAno ebay

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 11:04:27 GMT 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 10:40 +0000, roger wrote:
> Hi there
> I would be interested in the arduino course using a nano. Presently yoiu
> can buy them on ebay for £8.50
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/arduino-nano
> Is it worth buying.
> Roger Parker

If you can wait the two weeks for delivery then a nano should cost less
than £5 from china, which is how i got mine.   eg this one for £4.45
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Nano-V3_0-ATmega328P-AU-Microcontroller-Board-With-USB-Cable-p-68535.html
or one like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161223379474

I am coming around to the idea that we should be promoting one of the
shield compatible arduino formats, which will allow for easy addition of
a whole stack of extra features later without changing the main board.

that said, a nano isnt a dead end as there is an Sensor shield expansion
board for it (£2.11) that gives it a Uno compatible pinout, as well as a
pile of other connectors.
http://www.banggood.com/Multi-Sensor-Shield-Sensor-Expansion-Board-For-Arduino-Nano-UNO-p-916224.html

the Uno itself is available from £6.17 bought in bulk
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-lot-UNO-PCB-USB-Board-MEGA328P-ATMega8U2-USB-Cable-for-Arduino-Compatible-DIY-Geek-Open/1132017123.html

Also theres the Mega2560, (approx £9 and up) which is compatible with
standard uno shields, as well as its own more powerful mega shields,
such as the RAMPS board which drives a typical RepRap style 3d printer.
http://www.banggood.com/Mega2560-R3-ATmega2560-16AU-Control-Board-With-USB-Cable-For-Arduino-p-73020.html

It doesn't seem to make that much of a difference to the software which
board you choose, they all have the same basic core features, just some
more so than others, it comes down more to where people would like to go
with it later.