[Swansea Hackspace] Hackspace Digest, Vol 13, Issue 5

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jan 12 16:17:23 GMT 2014

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:43:20 +0000
Tim Moore <timmoore47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was struggling to understand what potential place it had within the range
> of experimental very small computers.
>
> As a dedicated controller PIC, Arduinio Nano, Raspberry etc all cost less
> and have good support.   So what is the reason anyone would want to buy one
> for £50?
>
> Intel might have an excellent product here and my lack of knowledge has got
> me curious (especially as I can't see an obvious use for it ).

Obvious uses - if you need proper floating point, if you need to deploy
existing PC class developments, or want to make use of the ability to
have the same kind of environment on the desktop and deployed platform.

The £50 one is a development board not the kind of system most people
would deploy in volume. For much of the rest I could tell you but then
they'd have to shoot me.

What I can say though is things that have been announced so take a look
at "Edison" which is Quark on an SD card format...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/do-it-yourself/edison.html

Alan