[Swansea Hackspace] TechHub Buzzer/Access Project

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Tue Nov 4 15:36:47 GMT 2014

using a Pi could be good, because it wouldn't even need to be a mobile or a
tablet, a small but beautiful web interface accessible from any desk top
would also work

GPIO, USB Audio / In & Out... simple web front end - heck port forward to
it via a secure https portal and you could even buzz yourself in from the
gate / door! ;-)

#canofworms

On 4 November 2014 15:11, Justin Mitchell <justin at discordia.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 14:04 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 13:52:46 +0000
> > Paul Harwood <paul at harwood-leon.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Simply put - to answer the door remotely from within the building (not
> being tied to the handset).
> > >
> > > Voice is required both ways really.
> >
> > Probably the best you can easily do for wireless operation is to have a
> > selectable pre-recorded messages so you can tell it to say
> >
> >       "Your call is important to us, my pet human has been summoned"
> >
> > or similar while you get the actual unit itself.
> >
> > Beyond that you are into trying to wire it into a VOIP box as a handset.
>
> I wonder if this could be done with a Raspberry Pi class device with a
> USB audio adapter for interfacing with the door system.
>
> but putting together the software for the portable end, assuming use of
> a mobile phone or tablet, is non-trivial

Mob: 07836 267426