[Swansea Hackspace] TechHub Buzzer/Access Project

Neil Jones neil at aurinia.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 17:38:40 GMT 2014

On 04/11/14 13:52, Paul Harwood wrote:
> Simply put - to answer the door remotely from within the building (not
> being tied to the handset).
>
> Voice is required both ways really.
>
> I am about to speak to the people who supply the other sets and will
> try to sell us something more expensive probably. If there's something
> we can donate to hackspace instead, then that would be cool.
>
> Spark.io night sounds great! When will that happen though?
>
> -- Paul

That is the 22nd November.

May I offer something up which may or may not be feasible. Why not do
this?  Have a Spark Core at either end to switch on low power FM radio
transceivers for the audio, perhaps with something like this for the
transmitter
http://www.circuitsgallery.com/2012/09/simple-portable-FM-transmitter.html
and handle the door opening etc via digital signals. My concern is the
quality of the audio if it is sent over wifi. Wifi signals can vary
tremendously in quality across a building. They may appear to work well
for computers which can check data and retransmit but these problems
really could mess up audio. Alan has pointed out there are problems with
the quality of the audio.
Why over complicate matters if using non-digital for part of the system
works perfectly.

If this is needed earlier there is no reason why we can't submit it with
our projects for the instructibles stuff later surely and we are looking
for projects to submit?

You might also want to create some kind of buzz or bleep to attract the
attention of the user but that is pretty trivial.

Neil