[Swansea Hackspace] ok wont be in.

Graham Owens grahamowensuk at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 18 08:38:05 GMT 2014

Hi ian

From the description of the pot you have given, it sounds more like incremental encoder (blue 8 pin dip on the bottom) used for things like volume control (or led duty control), or it could be a buffer but that would be less lightly to be the case.

Is there a reason to use an arduino in your led project, as you could probably achieve the same result with a 555 timer, or a small 8 pin device like a pic12f629 (just off the top of my head as i have one) they cost about 50p compared to the price of the arduino.

Of course if i was building a light for my microscope i would have both pure white and rgb leds mounted to it, with a keypad to enter an rgb value because under certain colors of light different things are visible.  I use my microscope to examine pcbs, but by changing the color of light i can easier detect certain faults.

Best Regards

Graham Owens