[Swansea Hackspace] ok wont be in.

Ian Bullfrog sevendev.tk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:53:23 GMT 2014

On 18/11/2014 09:38, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-11-18 at 08:38 +0000, Graham Owens wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason to use an arduino in your led project, as you could
>> probably achieve the same result with a 555 timer, or a small 8 pin
>> device like a pic12f629 (just off the top of my head as i have one)
>> they cost about 50p compared to the price of the arduino.
> I have been using the PIC 12F1840 in recent years, same kind of price,
> loads of features on it.  Theres tutorials on the website using it as
> well as a bootloader for it.
>
> Use the pickit in the space (tool cupboard) to flash the bootloader onto
> it, and then you can just connect the chip to a serial port (eg a usb
> uart board) and reprogram it at will just like an arduino.
>
> If you are dead set on using an arduino then use a mini-pro board, you
> can get them off places like aliexpress from £1.50 and up.  Same cpu as
> the big arduino uno boards, but without the usb (you need to hook up
> your own usb uart board to program it)

Ah cheers. Justin. I'll check the website out for the PIC stuff. thanks :)
I've got some pic programmers here, will have to see what is still
viable/ serial ports on PC etc, software. I know I spent a good while
finding working software to burn them with the Mac so shall fire that up
later and see what PICs I have around here. not sure, will have to have
a look :) then see if I can adapt something.

and also, thanks I got the mini-pro or whatever board it was off your
fine selves when in the hackspace and the pl20..33? the usb to uart
little device with the pins :)

so its just to get it all going really. may start with the chunky
arduino...then the mini.... then a pic.... maybe use the Pi later, and
program something in Python, just for fun.
If Im lucky I may a 12f1840 here. if not, are there any down the space?

ok cheerio for now