[Swansea Hackspace] One day our space will be as wild as this

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Fri Nov 21 14:25:00 GMT 2014

Justin, the area with the seats seems to be a bag/coat dumping area so yes
a workbench there would be perfect!

My father has had man-flu for the best part of two weeks so I probably
won't see him after all this weekend to get some timber offcuts for the CNC
bed. Sorry.

On 21 November 2014 14:05, Justin Mitchell <justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 13:42 +0000, Emyr Morris wrote:
>
> > Our resources are still limited, and the room small, but with more
> > members paying their dues every month we will be able to afford the
> > rent on a bigger room, and the kit can be left set up and working.
>
> We have been making enquiries about a bigger room, but as you say it
> would need more membership income to pay for it.
>

> > I still want to see workbenches where things like power supplies,
> > scopes, function generators, soldering irons, fume extractors etc can
> > be left set up (but kedy).
>
> I was discussing this with some of the guys the other day, wondering if
> its time to reorganise the shelving a little now that we have the big
> cupboard open. The corner with the book shelves and low chairs is rather
> under-utilised at the moment, perhaps replacing it with a workbench area
> would be better ?
>

> > I would like to see a HAM 'shac' set up
> > (I hear whispers that the Swansea Amateur Radio Society may decide to
> > wind up which would be a shame), they meet on the 1st and 3rd
> > Thursdays of the month, but maybe not for much longer... Our current
> > location on the roof could lend to putting up a stealthy antenna o
>
> Or something that fits inside the roof-cupboard that has the skylight ?
> thats where we would put the antennas for the lightning detector project
> if/when we get around to it. Theres a fair amount of space in there, its
> dry (but windy/cold) just not much room for people
>

> > I would love to see more machines... seeing the CNC machine working on
> > Monday was an inspiration (shame it needs a little repair now but we
> > should get that done quickly - anybody got some 4-core 0.75mm cable?
>
> I feel we are close to this being a generally usable tool, apart from
> the slight hiccough with the wiring, we have the control side sorted,
> between me and tim we think we have some suitable toolchains working for
> common jobs. and i have been slowly acquiring materials, various etching
> and milling bits, blank PCBs, etc.
>
> I have been wondering what materials we should buy in for people to
> experiment and make things with, acrylic looks to be a nice material to
> use, there are some ebay entries for 4-5kg boxes of offcuts for about
> £20 region, any better suggestions ?

Mob: 07836 267426