[Swansea Hackspace] Spark.io build night

Graham Owens grahamowensuk at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 21 19:35:41 GMT 2014

I you are going to try and start your own space, I wish you the very best of luck.  Having spent almost 3 years, lots of meetings with council etc, and being out of pocket by LOTS of money trying the same thing a bit west of here, I have to say that it is NOT an easy task.

The guys at the space have done an amazing job getting it started, and it can only get better from here.

On a side note, for 33p a day it would take me years to get access to 3d printers, pcb mills, electronics, hand tools, etc, etc and that doesn't include the electricity or heating that I used when I'm there.  That works out than less than the cost of a single cigarette 🚬  per day, or a drink, and a 10th of what it costs just for bus fare for me to get to the space, yet that is what it Swansea hackspace provides.

A quick visit to the hackspace website, equipment section has a pretty up to date list of what equipment £10 a month gets you access to, as well as access to cool new toys like the spark.io or the sugru, as well as access to tutorials and workshops.  I get that some have been cancelled, but they are all provided by volunteers and things sometimes change, that is life.  But if you have a night booked at the space and the event needs to be cancelled, ig doesn't mean a total washout, you can still turn up and  Perhaps you could provide a workshop instead about something you are interested in.

Everyone doing anything for the space does so voluntarily, and the space only works if everyone helps out, that includes doing workshops etc, and with the varied interests of the members mean that nearly any topic is good for a workshop.