[Swansea Hackspace] LEDs strip lighting

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Oct 10 11:59:35 BST 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-10 at 11:44 +0100, Richard Morgan wrote:
> Thanks Gerit,
> Talking of the power needs then....I was thinking LEDs would be more
> cost effective than halogen lighting. And given we're going into the
> 'darker' months, these will be on for probably 5-6hrs a night every
> day...

White LEDs will be cheaper, and suggestions say would also be more power
efficient, but less fun as you cant change the colour.

> Does the fact that I'm looking at going for so many LEDs on strip
> lighting negate that argument?
The output from red green and blue is being added to make white, so you
should be getting the same amount of light out of 1 RGB set as you do 3
White of the same power, but, the blue used to make white (via
phosphors) is a lot more efficient than the other colours.

> The 'low profile' of these in that they can just be attached to the
> existing beams with minimal screwing/drilling, and the lighting
> coverage and colours/dimming will likely still win the day though.

You can usually get the led strips in a protective waterproof plastic
runner, and they often have an adhesive strip on the back too.