[Swansea Hackspace] Proposal: Laser Cutter

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Oct 15 13:27:12 BST 2014

> Its a CO2 laser, and yes, certain plastics like PVC are best avoided due
> to the fumes, we need to add suitable venting to it anyway, wouldn't
> want all that smoke in the room, a flexible tube out of the window seems
> to be the norm.

Even with the tube out of the window you don't want to be cutting PVC 8)

> > And a fire protection system, so there should be a CO2 extinguisher with
> > it and included in the budget.
> A quick search says £20-30 for a 2KG co2 extinguisher.

Seems good - and replacement can be covered by a "twit" charge on whoever
sets it on fire ;)

> > The operating cost of a laser cutting is supposed to be £5/hr.

> Ah yes, i should have mentioned that there would be running costs for
> anyone using the cutter, to cover replacing the tube, and eventually
> also the various mirrors and lenses in the beam path.

That was the bit I was wondering about 8)

> Although this may all sound like a lot of work it is the path than many
> other spaces have taken before, and buying a truly turn-key ready system
> seems to start at £3000 or more.

And it gives you a device you can control, replace the firmware on and
make rather more useful than the expensive ones.

Alan