[Swansea Hackspace] Raspberry pi dns server

Ian Bullfrog sevendev.tk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 10:43:07 BST 2014

On 23/10/2014 07:56, Paul Harwood wrote:
> Hi both,
>
> I use tinydns
> https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=sjtIVPXLDcSq8wedyoLoDw&gws_rd=ssl#q=tinydns
>
> Really flexible, configurable and lightweight.
>
> — Paul
>
> On 23 Oct 2014, at 03:34, Jon Gittoes <jon at gittoes.org
> <mailto:jon at gittoes.org>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Graham,
>>
>> Sounds fairly straight forward.
>>
>> I suggest dnsmasq, its small, light and will allow you to put in your
>> own entries for certain servers ie the Oregon ones.
>>
>> If you need more control over the DNS then powerdns is a better
>> option as it allows you to plugin your own custom back ends, but its
>> probably overkill for your project.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On 23 Oct 2014 02:05, "Graham Owens" <grahamowensuk at googlemail.com
>> <mailto:grahamowensuk at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi guys (gender neutral version)
>>
>>     I have a query, and hoped one of you could help me out.
>>
>>     Short version:
>>     How to install a local DNS server on a raspberry pi for use at
>>     home, dhcp would be nice too but not essential.  How to route a
>>     dns enquiry to a local server.
>>
>>     Long version:
>>     I bought a weather station (£39 reduced from £199) made by oregon
>>     scientific.  Have read the reviews and it seems to boil down to
>>     this:  the hardware is okay, gets the job done etc, but it has no
>>     local output, it ONLY connects to oregon's servers, then the user
>>     can view the data with an phone app, or online in a webbrowser.
>>     The problem, oregons servers are CRAP, and thats as polite as i
>>     can be about them.  They go down for WEEKS at a time, during
>>     which the user cannot obtain any info from their own weather
>>     station, and it is not cached locally waiting for a connection
>>     either the data is just GONE.  There is just no weather during
>>     these outages.
>>
>>     the plan:
>>     Install raspberry pi with dns server.  Point dns requests for the
>>     oregon server back to the pi. Install a LAMP config on the pi.
>>     Use wireshark to work out whats going back and forward, write a
>>     php script on the pi to grab the data locally, and if i can be
>>     bothered forward it to oregon.
>>     Store the data locally, uploading to my real online server in
>>     10minute batches, including any cached data stored while waiting
>>     for connectivity.
>>
>>     Profit.
>>
>>     Am i going about this all wrong?  I have seen people binning
>>     these weather stations because they are so unreliable at
>>     connecting with oregons servers, but i havnt seen this attempted
>>     yet with it.  Plus whats not to like about having a local dns
>>     server that i can reroute.
>>
>>     Thanks

>>     <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ>www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
>>     <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ>

> [...]
Hi,
Im not sure but I remember some posts before about the maplin weather
station and people saying it was a rebranded Watson one.

while tinkering with my one (on a windows box) I also learnt about
cumulus software
http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus

which works with the Oregon stuff and

this piece of wierdness

http://www.weather-display.com/index.php

both are mentioned in this review of the maplins one by the frequency
cast guys

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/weatherstations.html
which also supports some oregons

so carry on with the raspberry pi sketch but these may be useful too.
oh and if someone actually gets/reads this, can you send a reply has I
havent had one to an email for months so I dont know if my email still
works there.

ciao
Ian