[Swansea Hackspace] RC522 RFID module from China...

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Sat Oct 25 21:06:44 BST 2014

well, I mentioned a few weeks ago at 'the space' that I was waiting for one
of those dead cheep RFID modules from China.

Well, it has finally arrived and I have been reading up on it and playing
with it a bit.

Masses of leg work has been done by the community, no surprise there, and
here is a link to some of the fruit of the labour

http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/MFRC522

and a useful Arduino library here

https://github.com/miguelbalboa/rfid

Concerns were voiced at 'the space' that the module is 3.3V

Power must be sent to it from the Arduino 3.3V pin - and the consensus
online is that the unit is 5V tolerant - so far mine has worked fine
without using a level converting dooffer.

Now somebody has shared a SDK for the ESP8266 wifi module I might just
place an order for a handful of those next!

Em