[Swansea Hackspace] Question for coders

Iain Menzies-Runciman ming at gwndwn.org.uk
Wed Oct 29 05:41:48 GMT 2014

The answer depends on just what you are looking for….

As a programmer using OSX I use a variety of tools:

TextWrangler is great for just hacking around with simple text files, such as config files, etc, knocking up quick test cases in scripting languages, etc

For more feature such as variable highlighting, code completion, etc I will use a more powerful IDE

For Java & PHP I use Netbeans. Eclipse is another popular alternative - I just don’t like it.

For Python, I am currently using PyCharm - but I keep changing my Python development environment, as I have yet to find one that really suits me. Other options there include things like Eric & Ninja IDE

For C/C++ depending on the complexity of the project, I will use either netbeans again or Emacs

As for searching all files in a directory - that is what OSX Spotlight is for.

Regards,
Ming.