[Swansea Hackspace] Question for coders

Ian Bullfrog sevendev.tk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 09:50:33 GMT 2014

wow! it wasnt mentioned....... hello and welcome to the 21st centuary!
spelt anyway you see fit.

........ Sirs, I present you the option of SUBLIMETEXT

http://www.sublimetext.com/

runs on SlimeDows, Linooks and the obviously superior Mac..... (yes,
yes, unix underbelly blah blah ;-) )

get sublime text
then
go here to Will bonds .....thing

https://sublime.wbond.net/

and copy the text of the download manager, paste it into sublimes
terminal and
HOLY COW
it just ....becomes a beast! fuzzy logic search anything /anywere to
download and install stuff.

ie.
after installing will bonds thing

shift cmd P for package manager
type
install..... watch the magicy thing as it works out what you want as you
type.
select the packet manager installer,
type whatever you are looking for, with regards php etc.

ping! there it is, it, returns, downloads and installs.
and is there.
its amazing.

multiple cursors (damned weird at first)
search anywhere (project wide, just open a folder, not a file and bingo!
it all opens up in the sidebar in hierachy order. wow)

I recommend the FREE tutorials here.
http://code.tutsplus.com/courses/perfect-workflow-in-sublime-text-2

the important thing is not to get lost/fry your head in adding stuff to
sublime. many many things!
it can also run textmate *bundles* that are plugins for the previous
daddy of mac text editors (text editor flaming/wars imminnant)

sublime can do shedloads of stuff is stunningly adaptable and has
version 2 and 3
oh!
and 2.... is classed as a beta... runs indefinately with the occasional
pop up to ask you would you be interested in purchasing it.
amazing...what good guys!

I am limited by my OS....mac os x 10.6.8, snow leopard (quite happy with
it ta very much :) )
but IM not limited by the text editor! amazing.

*can you hear me dribbling?*
I spent a-long-time-searching text editors and currently have about 12
installed!
allthough Im no where near the coding abilities of many/all of you
there, I do know a good thing when I see it :)

so good luck and I recommend this to all of you on all OS' and if you
use it, I recommend chucking the guys a few bucks and buying it :)

nb,
the choice of packages/themes you install can greatly effect the overall
experience
oh and the settings will......make you squeal with delight or barf in
terror.
no clicky buttons.
all settings are......text! JSON files (I think)
you can just about adjust/break everything in the editor.
go ahead and geek your fizzy bits off.

colour bonkersness......

http://colorsublime.com/
see what you like, download and install

start with package manager, then for me I added

sidebar enhancements              not sure! as i installed it
immediately and am happy with my sidebar :)
origami-                                   multiple panes in the text
code editor -with multiple tabs in each. go wild n crazy
emmet -                                   the old zen coding, for
superfast code writing....if I could remember the syntax
sftp                                           yep, for sftp. it logs in
, twiddles files etc.

and lots of other stuff.

have fun, and if you can run sublimetext3, let me know what its like :)