[Swansea Hackspace] An old PC with parallel printer port?

djdavies83 djdavies83 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 09:29:05 BST 2014

I did not receive the two emails before this one, still oddness, maybe it's my accout.

There is a mini mill at the hackspace now? Cool, will it be able to mill PCBs?

I really want to get up to date on membership and start coming again, this saturday hopefully.

No animals were harmed in the making of this email. However, several thousand electrons were severely inconvenienced.

Hi Justin,

Modern drive electronics are fine, but I would not be very happy running it
without a host PC for the time being until we could talk over the safety
aspects of doing so.
Unlike the 3d printer that will make some noise to complain about someone
getting their hand in the wrong place, the mill can do some serious damage
- so the ability to preview, view the cuts as they are happening and most
importantly emergency stopping need to be dealt with first if we were to
move away from linuxcnc.

I can bring in my PC so that we can see how its setup, but I can only leave
it there for a week as I use it for my other machines.

PS, if anyone mentions running it with Mach3, the offending party will be
liable to abuse of the type normally reserved for new recruits in stanley
kubricks Full Metal Jacket.  :D

exit0