[Swansea Hackspace] Linux tutorials

djdavies83 djdavies83 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 13:52:28 BST 2015

I know pretty much nothing of Linux, chmod, chown and pipe are completely foregin to me.

Things I would like to learn are....

Choosing a version.

Installation (maybe dual-boot on a blank hdd so i could still use windows).

How to navigate and do basic tasks like connect to a network, load a webpage.

Things like users, permissions.

Adding or creating a shared drive to local network.

Adding hardwear Installing printer native devices such as wifi, sound etc.

Installing software like arduino, drafsight flatcam etc.

P.s. Found my keys, yay. See you guys Saturday.

No animals were harmed in the making of this email. However, several thousand electrons were severely inconvenienced.

I would +1 Ubuntu as the Raspberry Pi Raspian isn't too disimilar and as
makers we might end up needing to roll out a Pi setup.

Probably we would need to go back to basics, maybe if we all brought in an
old laptop, installed Linux on it, and then got it up to some level of
usefulness... Maybe covering some of basics like Adding users, groups,
chmod, chown etc... Then onto adding packages etc

Some of the useful stuff like top, df and a thousand other things that says
admins know and the rest of us are ignorant of... Stuff like pipe etc...
The bash based stuff that will be really useful when we progress to mucking
about with A Pi

If the software we would need would be available locally on HD, stick or
cd to save us all downloading it at the same time.

I have a R Pi crib sheet on my google drive

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18AOuK_QNqpDPMuctAHFapvfO53yPAfc9G4IZXiIUkj8/edit?usp=docslist_api

Pretty basic stuff, but if it might be handy. I rarely need to get my hands
dirty with Linux these days and I have forgotten so much of it now. (I've
owned Linux web servers since 1997)