[Swansea Hackspace] Diamond RGB Hotend

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Dec 4 10:35:27 GMT 2015

Yeah the kickstarter blurb seems quite clear on it just being a single
nozzled multi-extruder, not any kind of full-colour attempt.

There is an interesting report on the problems of trying to make a full
colour extruder on the reprap website, istr the conclusion was that you
need some kind of active stirrer in there to get any kind of uniformity.
http://reprap.org/wiki/Mixer_extruder

Also three colours of filament would not give you a very good range of
colours. its a subtractive process like paint and you would need to at
least also have a white filament.

Curiously apple have just filed for a patent on a full colour 3d
printer, their design uses one nozzle for the plastic, and a separate
'colouring' nozzle. how thats meant to work is anyones guess.