[Swansea Hackspace] 3d printer

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Tue Feb 10 12:38:20 GMT 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 11:23 +0000, Neil Jones wrote:
> The 3d printer isn't working. I wish that were not the case.
>
> Our rules of etiquette on the website say the following:-
>
> "If something is broken, fix it; don't complain. If you can't fix it,
> tell the directors ASAP.
> If you're doing something major, ask the mailing list first."
>
> Therefore is there anything I or someone else can do to help?

Short answer:
not right now, no

Long answer:
A short in the wiring near the hot end of the extruder caused some of
the wires to melt and it appears to have also damaged the A2D pin on the
microcontroller that reads the extruder temperature.

As we already had a replacement controller board in hand for upgrades we
thought it worth just swapping the boards over, but having loaded new
firmware onto the new controller board it briefly appeared to work, but
has since stopped communicating.

i took that board home last night, and will try to find out what has
gone wrong and attempt to reprogram it.

we have a possible fall back plan of rewiring the old board, and
modifying the firmware to use some pins from an unused expansion port.