[Swansea Hackspace] Laser cutting?

Gerrit Niezen gerrit.niezen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 09:26:45 GMT 2015

It took about a week to get a quote form Lasers R Us, which was around £90 ex works, material or shipping. Got another quote from Cut Laser Cut (in London) for £90 including material and shipping. A lot of money for what is basically a 500x450mm box with a smaller box on top.

The design is a bit too complicated to do with a table saw and band saw (see attached .svg). I ended up using a styrofoam box instead: Not as aesthetically pleasing, but it does the job.

For smaller designs, I’d really recommend Razorlab.co.uk <http://razorlab.co.uk/>. The quote process is completely automated (so you can play around with it a bit), and once I submitted my design it was made and shipped on the same day. I paid £6.74 (including material, excluding P&P) for a design made on a 181x181mm sheet of 3mm MDF.