[Swansea Hackspace] Hackspace Digest, Vol 25, Issue 7

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jan 5 18:22:00 GMT 2015

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 17:31:13 +0000 (UTC)
Debi Withers <debiwithers at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> in answer to the question of how the video needs to be displayed, there is no manipulation it just needs to be selected and played back, possibly paused or rewound.
> Video will only be one of the channels, the other 3 will be jpeg or pdf; 4 audio (mp3s I expect)
> would this still make the raspberry pi the best option?
> thanks again everyone for this amazing input and ideas,
> debi www.debi-rah.net

The PI has various bits of hardware video acceleration so its actually
ideal for that bit. JPEG is easy for anything with a bit of memory and
CPU power. MP3/OGG/FLAC etc shouldn't really stretch it much.

PDF might be a bit more of a challenge, you can't stream PDF and it can
use a lot of compute power to process a document.

Alan