[Swansea Hackspace] Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) training - Foundation licence and exam

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Wed Jan 7 12:05:43 GMT 2015

Hello (try again!)

anybody interested in becoming licensed for Amateur Radio can do so at the
Carmarthen Amateur Radio Society in March.

Carmarthen is the only club known to have any training/exams available
anytime in the foreseeable future. Others may have it listed on their
websites but they are seriously lacking in trainers/examiners by all
accounts.)

Training starts on the 20th of January (Tuesday night - 7pm)

There is a fee for the exam that will be payable (cash or card) on the 20th
- it will be just under £30 if memory serves correctly.

The training will continue on the following dates

Tuesday 3rd of Feb, 7pm
Tuesday 17th of Feb, 7pm
Tuesday 3rd March, 7pm

And the final training will take place on Saturday the 7th of March and the
exam itself will be on Sunday the 8th of March.

To do the training you will need the book

Foundation Now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foundation-Licence-Now-Alan-Betts/dp/1872309801

you will need a copy of the Band Plan

https://thersgb.org/services/bandplans/doc/rsgb_band_plan_jan_2014.pdf

and a copy of the Terms And Conditions of the licence

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/amateur-radio/guidance-for-licensees/amateur-terms.pdf

I downloaded the Errata for the book... that was a printable PDF - worth
having.

Anybody who understands V = IR and P = VI and a rudementary understanding
of electronics should be able to pass this easy multiple choice exam with
no sweat at all.

The club will probably ask you to join the club for at least a year (£10)
if you pass. We pay a quid at each meeting, this covers the rental of the
community centre for the meetings.

Please feel free to pass this on to anybody who you think might have an
interest in radio and construction of radios / antennae (remember Radio
Hams were the makers & hackers until fairly recently)

I hope to set up a Ham shack at the Hackerspace fairly soon, we have had
the offer of the permanent loan of Ham equipment by the Swansea Amateur
Radio Society.

Thanks

Emyr