[Swansea Hackspace] Last night - ESP and other ramblings

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Tue Jan 13 17:18:40 GMT 2015

Had quite a chat and put a lot of things in their places last night.

Some people have been in touch asking for links to various things so I
thought I would produce a quick digest

*If This Then That* - *IFTTT.com*

a service that allows devices (iOS/Android) / switches / lights to
interface with each other.

e.g. if snowing, turn on heating or if raining tomorrow send alert to
mobile device 'remember your brolly tomorrow'

It also allows you to set up geofencing with your mobile device.

e.g. if distance from home greater than 1 mile, turn off heating.

It works with the WeMo switch for instance, so you could turn on lights at
Dusk... Turn them off at a pre-determined time.

I have an iOS notification set up for a RSS feed that I have on one of my
ecommerce website so I can monitor what is going on even if I am out and
about and away from my desk.

IFTTT.com is currently free - I hear there are plans to charge - I am
guessing they will charge for more real time actions. At the moment my
recipes seem to run every 20 mins (which is fine for me)

*ESP8266 - programming*

there was an article on Hackaday a few days ago.

http://hackaday.com/2015/01/10/flashing-the-esp8266-in-windows/

There is a new windows app that allows you to quickly download the ESP
flasher, the NodeMCU firmware and install / run LUA

Documentation is sparse and I might write a  short dummy guide for myself
when I flash my next chip - If I do this I will share it with you.

So far I have managed to get it to read a switch connected to GPIO0 and
turn an LED on and off via GPIO2

this is a fairly easy way into hacking the ESP8266 and making it do
something.

Still masses more to learn!

I am looking to install them into some RF remote switches and maybe into
PIR detectors along with temp / humidity sensors.

I am planning to upgrade my tumble drier with a Temp and Humidity sensor to
turn it off (via a relay) when my clothes are dry - I may add a ESP to add
notification - if at all possible via IFTTT to my mobile.

Emyr

PS oh yes.. we got onto the home heating thermostat. I opted for Hive from
British Gas - mostly because their system was one of the few that didn't
charge a monthly fee - basically you pay a fee even on the months when you
do not heat your home, so you would end up losing the benefit of being more
in control of your energy use! https://www.hivehome.com/

It was a cinch to install - I popped off the old time switch, removed the
old thermostat (wireless). Plugged in the 'hub' to the router... dropped
the boiler switch onto the old plate belonging to the old time switch,
attached the thermostat to the screw holes of the old wireless one, turned
the boiler back on... and installed the app on my phone and logged in -
whole process took less than 10 mins.

Even though NEST is compatible with IFTTT, Hive isn't which is a pitty, it
would have been cool to have been able to program in a few overrides.