[Swansea Hackspace] Hack the lab: Bringing scientists and makers together

Gerrit Niezen gerrit.niezen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:53:36 GMT 2015

Hi everyone!

I was wondering whether you would be interested in coming to a “Hack the Lab” event at the hackspace during the summer (tentatively 24-27 July)? It will be part of a global event organised by the Open Knowledge Foundation, where multiple sites all build open source laboratory equipment during one weekend.

Some ideas for projects include PCR machines (e.g. http://openpcr.org/ <http://openpcr.org/>, a thermocycler for DNA detection and sequencing), syringe pumps (maybe you’ve seen the project I’m working on at http://www.openpump.org <http://www.openpump.org/>), microscopes, incubators, centrifuges, spectroscopes and bioreactors.

I’m hoping to get some scientists from the university involved as well, but if you (or someone you know) may be interested, please let me know!

Cheers,
Gerrit

PS: If you’re wondering why this is a good idea, here’s a list from OKFN:
	• Showcase OSHW for science to researchers and other end-users e.g. science educators, citizen/civic scientists.
	• Encourage researchers into their local maker spaces and FabLabs, building contacts and connections.
	• Encourage makers to use their skills to develop hardware for science.
	• Spark conversations around the needs of both makers and researchers, including the requirement for robust and reproducible designs.
	• Prototype interesting and novel tools or build existing ones.
	• Strengthen international links and build connections through concurrent, linked events.
	• Bring about more frequent interactions and similar meetings in the future.