[Swansea Hackspace] Laser cutter induction

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Thu Jul 2 01:44:02 BST 2015

tonight's laser induction went very smoothly - the guys have put in an
awful lot of time into getting the machine working and also in getting to
grips with the nuances of making my it work.
The end result tonight was a very slick and straight forward introduction
to machine safety and on how to use it safely and effectively.
The write up on the website helps a lot and is a valuable resource for us
all.
Everybody had a go with card and acrylic, and after most people left I had
two more goes on laminated MDF - I left my attempts at the space in case
anybody wants to look at them. A very enjoyable evening. I learnt a lot
again tonight.
A huge thank you to Justin, Tim and Tom.
I did my initial designs in Adobe Illustrator then used Inkscape to convert
to .emf for the laser software. Even though I prepared cuts and holes in
AI, I ended up using only the etch .emf opting to quickly redrawing the
cuts and holes in laser draw. This turned out to be a quicker, easier and
probably more reliable way of doing it.
Can't wait to get back into the space for another go!
Emyr