[Swansea Hackspace] Teaching Children to Code

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Sat Jul 25 11:17:51 BST 2015

get him the lego mindstorms set from Lego

that will give him good real world examples of coding

first there is the fun of construction, then there is adding code and
seeing something physical react to the code.

then, add sensors and you get interaction

Scratch is really good. Some junior schools teach scratch, so it will be
something he will be able to use later.

I have scratch on my macs, it is easy to install and use on mac and PC and
don't forget the Raspberry Pi!

You have the added bonus on the Pi that again you can use scratch to
control motors and interact with sensors.

The first programming Osian did was with the Lego Mindstorms when he was
about 5... I bought him a new set for Christmas one year, and within a
month we had bought a cheep second hand set off ebay. It is well worth
keeping an eye at car boots and ebay for mindstorms, you can get a bargain!

Emyr