[Swansea Hackspace] 3D CNC milling?

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Tue Jun 2 16:58:09 BST 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-02 at 16:46 +0100, Gerrit Niezen wrote:

> What can I use to mill 3D shapes on the CNC mill? Looking at the
> hackspace website
> (http://swansea.hackspace.org.uk/Equipment/CNCRouter), IIRC it can be
> done using HeeksCNC, but it's not supported or developed anymore. Same
> with PyCAM.

Heeks or PyCAM were the best ones we found that could do profiling.

> Oh, and can I mill hardwood (e.g. walnut or cherry) with our CNC mill?
The harder the material the slower you have to go, i think technically
you could do aluminium with it if you have the right bits.

For profiling you will need some round/ball nose end mills, which i do
not think we have any of, all ours are square/flat nose. a few different
sizes if you want to get it done in a reasonable time too.