[Swansea Hackspace] 3D CNC milling?

Tim Clark eclipse at sucs.org
Wed Jun 3 12:39:00 BST 2015

On 03/06/2015 12:28, Gerrit Niezen wrote:
> Dave: Thanks for the link to the Youtube videos, they’re now on my
> to-watch list. I should probably have mentioned that I’m specifically
> looking for decent open-source software - for closed-source stuff I’d
> probably use Fusion 360.
I came across a different video from them a few days ago and did similar.
PyCAM is supposed to offer that level of features, but is very slow and
crashey when you want to be that fancy, it uses ungodly amounts of ram.
> Tim/Justin: I tried generating the toolpaths using the demo model
> loaded on PyCAM - it took 6 hours on my Ubuntu box (but at least
> didn’t crash). I wish Heeks had a better UI.
The Heeks UI really is its downfall, I have generated 3D gcode in Heeks
before though so I can show you how to do it if you want. The other
disadvantage is is that it doesn't do multi passes, although you can to
a certain extend get similar results with a bit of work and setting abusing.

> Suggestions for buying end mills - eBay?
My 6mm, 1mm and 0.5mm ones came from aliexpress

Tim