[Swansea Hackspace] Rumber

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Fri Mar 6 16:06:03 GMT 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 15:29 +0000, Ceri Clatworthy wrote:
> Tested the Solder fume Extractor,  works well :)
>

> The Atmel USB I/F is un- programmed, - and I don't have (knowledge) to
> program it,

suggestions are that the chip should come with the DFU bootloader
pre-installed, in which case you use dfu-programmer to load the
usb-serial code.

if it doesnt, then you need to wire up the SPI bus ISP port, and use the
same Arduino as ISP trick i demonstrated lastnight, using avrdude to
load it with the DFU bootloader first (fetch from Atmel website).

usb-serial code here
http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA#16U2_LUFA.2FArduino_based_USB2Serial_Firmware

For reference: the previous chip, when wired in ISP more did not answer
to avrdude, giving only 0xFFFF as answers. whereas the 2560 chip would.

> Yesterday was the first time i have EVER used Ardweeno SW, and bricked
> my RAMPS !!!!
you cant really brick them, it takes special effort to wipe the
bootloader, and even then the ISP programmer mode lets you write one
back directly from the Arduino IDE.

just make sure you have the correct board type selected when you tell
the ide to verify & upload, #ifdefs in the marlin code should catch you
doing anything too crazy.