[Swansea Hackspace] 3D Printer

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Tue Mar 17 11:28:38 GMT 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 11:06 +0000, Neil Jones wrote:
> On 17/03/15 10:41, Tim Clark wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >     I am pleased to announce that as of last night the 3D printer
> > should now be back in action.
> > It still needs some calibrating and fine tuning to get the best
> > results out of it, but I this was probably the case before it broke so
> > it shouldn't be worse than before. The only noticeable difference is
> > the jog and homing speed which requires a little tweaking in the
> > firmware as its rather slow at the moment.
> >
> > Tim
> Really Excellent news Tim, Thanks for all the hard work.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that this is the new board, but that the other
> parts of the upgrade are not yet ready?

There was a bit of a chicken and egg situation there, in order to fit
the (afaik complete) 2nd extruder we need to print a new style of
x-carriage to fit it to, as the existing one can only take smaller
bowden type extruders. so the printer had to be made to work with the
old carriage first.

But the repairs have meant that the electronics have been upgraded, so
it should be "just" the mechanical mountings that need to be done now.