[Swansea Hackspace] Serial usb ports - Help

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed May 20 22:52:20 BST 2015

On Wed, 20 May 2015 21:58:18 +0100
Tim Moore <timmoore47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a aged Thinkpad with 4 USB 2 ports,
>
> Its running Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit.
>
> I'm trying to talk to a MicroMite using picocom.
>
> But it doesn't find ttyusb0
>
> Looking in /dev/  there are loads of tty's but not ttyusb0

What tty you get may depend upon the device your USB-serial dongle is
using. Generic ACM interfaces will be /dev/ttyACM* while the various USB
dongles will be /dev/ttyUSB* (note caps)

If the dongle USB identifier isn't known then you've got another problem
8)

Also check lsusb - make sure the device is visible!

Alan