[Swansea Hackspace] 3D Pen

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Feb 25 10:47:08 GMT 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 10:21 +0000, Ceri Clatworthy wrote:
> Does anyone know if we have a 3D pen in the space ??

No, we only borrowed one briefly from Maplins.

> One of my friends wants to get one,
> but I have suggested he tests it out first :)
ask him what his expectations of it are,
i hear a lot of people are tempted because they seem cheap compared to
3d printers, but they are not even remotely comparable.

To be honest, i think they are pants. if you enjoy making free hand
messes then sure, but a few of us tried and were unable to even make
recognisable shapes with it, never mind anything useful.

Best way to describe it is just a glue gun, with not very sticky glue,
with care, precision and a LOT of practice you might be able to sculpt
shapes with it, but it will always be a crude stringy result.