[Swansea Hackspace] Daily Countdown (but working days not calendar)

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jan 28 13:05:31 GMT 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:16:30 +0000
Richard Morgan <richard.morgan at avocation.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks all.
>
> My assumption would be that the bank-hols won't change the much so no need
> for internet access and likely RTC module for timekeeping.
>
> In terms of power-draw - thinking about it the LED display being large
> would I guess need more than battery power for a prolonged period (could I
> set it to power down the lights at set times of day/week maybe). I think
> Raspberry Pi might be overkill but I'm no expert.
>
> Not set on what the display is so open to suggestions/guidance - I am a
> newbie so something straightforward to interface would be helpful for me.

For power efficiency your optimum would probably be e-paper but that
might be a bit pricy. An epaper display and a microcontroller ought to
run for years as it only needs to power on once a day to change the
display then turn itself off entirely.

A mechanical display silly as it sounds might also be incredibly power
efficient for one change a day !

Alan