[Swansea Hackspace] Urgent space access needed.

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Sat Oct 15 16:32:51 BST 2016

On Sat, 2016-10-15 at 15:23 +0000, David Davies-Day wrote:
> This got me thinking, we had app access before, is this not possible
> in our new room?

This was the Kisi system that Techhub had fitted to certain doors, and
took with them when they left.

We could build our own version if we really wanted, but we would also
have to seek the landlords permission to fit them, and they may be
reluctant given the issues techhub had with theirs.

For anyone thats curious, the kisi system was an Electric Imp on a
breakout board with some relays. I already have a prototype for a
similar setup using ESP8266 boards, but it would need extensive
software development to be useful.

> Could we rig up a thing to the intercom where select members could
> remotely "push the button/buzz people in" say Gwion called a select
> member who remotely push the button as though they were stood in the
> room?

It would still require the person to press the correct external buzzer
button, so that the door system interconnects the relevant lock to our
intercom.

You could probably fairly simply patch a relay into the handset/wiring
for a remote button press, but how useful that would be on its own is
debatable. to be more useful you'd want to interface the voice circuits
as well, and that quickly becomes non-trivial.