[Swansea Hackspace] Collaborative hackspace playlist?

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Wed Jul 5 09:22:37 BST 2017

On Tue, 2017-07-04 at 17:52 +0100, Nathan Hackett wrote:
> Thanks to Cedric's speaker it's been nice to have music in the
> background rather than just listening to the fans whirring... but it
> seems like I'm the only one that is happy to expose my terrible music
> tastes! How about a communal playlist? Made one with 100-ish songs to
> start with, if you add anything drag it towards the top somewhere.
> Tried to stick to summery inoffensive pop stuff, considering kids
> appear sometimes - with some metal snuck in for Andy. ;)
>
> https://open.spotify.com/user/nhac82/playlist/7k6SbCx6vl3fkhazaYOb8r
>
> Also if anyone is in the "background music is very annoying" camp,
> please say. I know there won't be a consensus but I'd rather silence
> than annoy anyone (more than usual). :) xoxo

Alas I must put on my directors hat here and say that we cannot condone
the playing of music¹ in the hackspace. the Performing Rights Society
class it as a Public Space and it is therefore subject to a license
fee.

The license for a single music player at their members clubs rates is
£221.58+VAT per year²

The UK Hackspace foundation did discuss³ the idea of group licensing,
but it doesn't get any cheaper.

Note 1 - Creative commons and other Royalty Free music is fine

Note 2 - http://www.prsformusic.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/PPS%20Tarif
fs/jmc-tariff.pdf   section 3.2.4

Note 3 - https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/prs-and-ppl-licensing-for-pla
ying-music-in-hackspaces/188/5