[Swansea Hackspace] LEDs failed in my World Globe nightlight

Richard Morgan richard.morgan at avocation.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 14:23:44 BST 2017

Cheers Dr Tim and Ceri,
I have some diagnostic work to attempt and will feedback the results.

Thanks Hackspace List,

Richard

On 5 September 2017 at 11:27:25, Davies T. (t.davies at swansea.ac.uk) wrote:

Dear Richard,

This is a resend because the hackerspace mailer would not
accept the original with pictures left in! Serves me right for
being lazy.

If you look at the LEDs you will notice a slight "flat" on the rim.
This marks the negative side. Also, in general (but not always)
the "cup" inside the LED is negative.

I am not convinced that the LEDs are failing. Take one out
experimentally and connect via 330 Ohms (ish) to a 5V supply.
If the LED lights, your problem may be elsewhere, e.g. driver
transistors. If the globe is battery powered, look out for signs
of corrosion, e.g. the dreaded negative lead rot.

Good luck!

Timothy Davies