[Swansea Hackspace] Creating a newsletter/ Showcasing what we work on

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Tue Feb 13 17:02:10 GMT 2018

On Tue, 2018-02-13 at 15:34 +0000, Matthew Daubney wrote:
> Being a nice friendly sort, they've published their source code https
> ://github.com/DoESLiverpool/weeknote-generator so that makes it a bit
> easier.
>
> On 13 Feb 2018 15:26, "Sophia Komninou" <sophia.komninou at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > So during the AGM we discussed a bit about how we showcase what we
> > do in a collective manner.
> >
> > Here is an example of how DoES Liverpool does it https://doesliverp
> > ool.com/category/weeknotes/
> >
> > Basically, they have a dedicated hashtag (in our case this could be
> > #SwanHack for example) and then someone who is a bit more competent
> > than me in programming (that isn't difficult, I can't code) make
> > some kind of program that collects the posts with this hashtag from
> > all social media and puts them together in a newsletter, or a blog
> > post or something. (I try to post a few things on Mondays or on
> > events on Instagram, but if people want to use their personal
> > accounts they could just use the hashtag in their posts)
> >
> > They do have some other stuff in their "weeknotes" like upcoming
> > events. I am wondering whether this can be an automated newsletter
> > for everyone in the mailing list so they are updated without having
> > to check the website for new events (because, in reality, who
> > really does that???).
> >
> > I have no idea how easy or difficult this is but I am sure there
> > are people who can gauge how doable it is.

I had started to look at this, finding some javascript tools that
aggregate social media postings onto your website.

but i hit problems at the first thing i looked at, Instagram.

all the tools need an access_token to talk to the instagram API, to get
that you need to register a client, but that is in sandbox mode and
heavily restricted to what it can see (basically only things posted by
yourself), to see anything else you need to go through an approvals
process for your client, and they are no longer accepting requests for
that as the API is being deprecated in a few months.

If anyone has used the instragram APIs recently, and knows any more
about it than i have been able to find, please let me know.

I will look at the twitter and facebook APIs next