[Swansea Hackspace] Am I the only PGP nerd at Swansea Hackspace? If not, let's sign each other's key!

Alan Cox alan at llwyncelyn.cymru
Mon Jan 29 20:57:48 GMT 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 17:10:45 +0000
Brian J Hoskins <brian at hoskins.eu> wrote:

> Does anyone else at Swansea Hackspace hold dear the general liberal
> principals behind private communication? Do you use PGP?

I never understood why people got so excited about PGP. Most of the
interesting information in communications is about where messages are
sent not the content.

If I was trying to overthrow our evil overlords I'd be meeting on a
large multi-user environment where it's hard to work out who said what to
whom and communicating via a non intended mechanism within that
environment. For example I suspect viterbi encoded encrypted bitstreams
driving crouch/stand on a large minecraft server ought to be fairly safe
8)

I'd also be appearing at random other times sending gibberish so nobody
can try and correlate pairs of users 8)

For bonus points use a crypto system that given different valid keys
gives different valid output. Something Phil Karn suggested decades ago -
so that one key decodes to something embarassing but not dire, and the
other key to the real stuff.

> If so, let's sign each other's keys and expand the web of trust[1]!

'Build a detailed mineable relationship data set'

Alan