[Swansea Hackspace] Am I the only PGP nerd at Swansea Hackspace? If not, let's sign each other's key!

Alan Cox alan at llwyncelyn.cymru
Wed Jan 31 21:56:19 GMT 2018

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:19:52 +0000
Brian J Hoskins <brian at hoskins.eu> wrote:

> Hello Alan,
>
> I don't get the impression that I have any real chance of persuading you
> to change your mind about PGP, and that's OK, but here is why PGP is
> "exciting" to me:

Don't get me wrong PGP is really cool as a tool for encrypting content,
and even more so for verifing content and trust. It's just that privacy
is a lot more complicated.

> But the same people who make those arguments are quite happy to put
> their snail-mail letters in a sealed envelope before posting them off to
> the recipient.

And the same applies for both. The security services don't care much
about content. Who mailed whom is the bit of interest - and in fact paper
is a bit more secure in some ways as UK letters don't generally have a
visible return address. In the USA it's a requirement - guess why 8)

Alan