[Swansea Hackspace] Flip-Dot Display Group Project: Update

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Sat Jul 28 17:27:42 BST 2018

On Wed, 2018-07-25 at 18:09 +0100, Peter Barnes wrote:
> Justin,
> If I find myself in the Hackspace between now and Monday, i'll give
> the new test script a go.
>
> I came across this blog post today, from a maker who has reversed
> engineered a similar Hanover display that he is now controlling with
> an ESP32 on a custom PCB.
>
> By using frame interpolation he has achieved a very good refresh
> rate, see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZV0VF4d4HE
>
> I sent him a message to let him know what we're doing and he came
> straight back asking for more information.

I have updated the driver again to what would be required based off of
that blog, as it does seem to match the circuit we have.

It requires a mosfet driver to pulse the 18v coil energise line,
suggested diagram below.
I believe we have some p-channel power mosfets in the hackspace, which
we can drive with one of the n-channel logic mosfets (2N7000) that i
know we have.
https://github.com/popemadmitch/flipdot/blob/master/background/coil_dri
ve_schem.png

also for the fun of it updated the gfx demo code, so if the simple one
does suddenly work you can test something a little more advanced