[Swansea Hackspace] Slow wifi how to investigate.

Paul Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 17:29:42 BST 2018

Use ping
* test computer with wired lan to router - record response times for pkts
* test computer on wifi right next to router - record response times
* test computer further away from router - record response times
* compare times
** wired tests are baseline (could use other wifi computer as well)
** if all wifi slow then firmware/driver issue on computer
** if farther away wifi slower than near then signal strength issue with computer or router. Conduct further tests to determine which.

Had many issues with a ralink (usb interface) pcmcia wifi card in an old laptop. Kept recompiling new drivers and firmwares but never solved its issues. In the end, I bought an external usb wifi adapter.

HTH

Paul