[Swansea Hackspace] Laser cutter kerf

Andy Rush Andymrush at live.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 11:00:05 GMT 2018

I've made a few laser cut pieces recently, and as far as I can tell, the beam's kerf is near 0.3mm at its thinnest, 0.6 at the widest. All the dimensions are 0.6-1.2mm off what they should be on paper. I've had a quick google around, and most places suggest that a laser cutter kerf should be within 0.18-0.22mm at the thinnest part of the cut. Are there steps that we can take to improve how accurately the laser cutter cuts, beyond trying to to account for the kerf within the original design by padding out all dimensions in the original file?