[Swansea Hackspace] Storage Improvements

Joseph Bhart jjsbhart at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:20:33 GMT 2018

Happy to lend a hand as well, I'm moving into a place this week with enough
space to construct something like this.

12mm MDF seems like overkill to me for some shelves? That's a huge amount
of weight, MDF doesn't hold screws very well and the dust is a right pain
to deal with. Not to mention it pretty much dissolves if any water/solvent
is spilled on it.
My instinct would be something like 9mm ply. More than strong enough for
the job and less than half the weight.

As Jon said, some cheap 2x2 pine and some battens to make up the frames is
all that would be needed (depending on the size of the boxes, if the
shelves are 800x400, you'd get exactly 9 of them per sheet).
Could even make the shelves removable, so that oddly shaped things could be
stored?

I'll be at the hackspace on Monday with some paper and ideas.