[Swansea Hackspace] 3d printer

Neil Jones neil at aurinia.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 16:34:53 GMT 2018

On 12/03/18 11:47, Sophia Komninou wrote:
> "How are you at Lego Sophia? That's the level of the assembly
> instructions"
> I know it might shock some people here but I never assembled lego kit
> on my own following instructions. I rather prefer to improvise :) So
> yeah following instructions like this is not in my skillset...
>
> Matt, I understand 3D printing is a project by itself and there is a
> fair amount of stuff to learn but what I am trying to say is that
> having a less complicated machine to deal with and only learn the
> skills to print (navigating the software, slicing etc) rather than the
> skills to make the machine work plus the skills to print would be less
> intimidating for a novice, as you said easier approachable. I hope
> this makes sense?
>
> Sophia

It makes complete sense. It seems that you look at it just like I do. I
know there is some work required to design something and therefore some
work understanding the software side, but I just want a printer as a
tool that works when I ask it to do something. I don't want to have to
fiddle with it or find it doesn't work properly. As for lego I bet most
of us preferred to improvise.

The last time I tried to 3d print something in the space the printer
jammed. You may remember I made a posting on this list warning people
not to use the device until
the problem had been fixed.

The question of whether any kind of printer that requires assembling
before use is suitable can be addressed as follows.

1. Can it be easily assembled and does that assembly mean that the
ordinary user needs to do anything?

For the Prusa Mk3 this seems to be answered. It is being said that it is
childsplay to put together, like toy lego bricks.
If we were to chose one I am sure that Alex would be happy to help do
the little bit of work required.
It also doesn't mean that that ordinary user needs to do anything so in
that respect it is like a lot of tools it just has to be set up to work
properly to start with.

2. Does the fact that it has to be put together make it unreliable?

I can't see any evidence for this. The reliability is a completely
separate question. The only question is is the device reliable . How it
is assembled whether by us or the manufacturer surely doesn't come into
consideration.

I think perhaps the nature of our current devices is clouding judgement
on this issue.

Neil