[Swansea Hackspace] Plywood laser cutter?

Alice Mitchell alice at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Wed May 27 12:42:16 BST 2020

On Wed, 2020-05-27 at 11:28 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
> This is obviously an idea for after the lockdown. I think this is
> the case but I'd just like to check. I am thinking out a future
> design idea.

We keep a bunch of info and guides for the laser cutter on the website:
https://swansea.hackspace.org.uk/Equipment/LaserCutter

> Has anyone used the laser cutter to cut plywood? Are there any
> thickness limits or issues with thickness?

Certain types of plywood work better than others, you really want
interior grade (exterior uses some nasty glues that you will be
vapourising) birch wood ply is i believe the most popular.

If in doubt just search ebay for 'laser ply' lots of standard 3mm on
there.

I would guess you can maybe cut upto about 5 or 6mm thickness before it
gets awkward and messy, thinner the better really.

> Am I correct in assuming the maximum cut is a little greater than A4
> size?
315mm x 215m